Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The After Six Crowd

When I’m at Innsbrook, I normally take bird walks in the morning, when the birds are peeking out in the warm sun. Last night, I needed to get out of the house and I decided to take my binoculars with just in case something interesting pops up. I AM SO GLAD I DID!

In a grove of mixed conifers and deciduous trees, I found a small tree ripe with these tiny little red berries. Well, the birds were all over that! It was crazy! Within five minutes I spotted the following birds in the tiny tree:

  • Eastern Bluebirds (male, female, and immature)
  • Blue-winged Warblers (two, chasing each other around)
  • Hairy Woodpecker
  • White-breasted Nuthatch
  • Black-capped Chickadee
  • Eastern Wood-Pewee
  • Great Crested Flycatcher
  • Catbird (new species for me)
  • Cedar Waxwing
  • Tufted Titmouse
  • Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak
  • Cardinal pair

Totally fun for five minutes! Complete surprise to me since it was after 6pm. I don’t know what type of tree that was, but, boy was it good eats (for the birds!)

I also saw these birds along the mile-long walk.

  • Wild Turkey (3 adults, and 5 babies)
  • Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
  • Carolina Wrens
  • Many Crows
  • Red-Winged Blackbirds
  • Field Sparrows (New species for me)

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, what a great serendipitous bird walk!! I envy you.
    Laraine

    ReplyDelete