Friday, August 14, 2009

It's Rough Being a Bird


One of the nicer things about my home at Innsbrook is that one whole side of the home is windows (it's an A-frame.) Great for us humans watching birds, but not so great for the birds.

This morning while vacuuming, I heard a loud thunck. D-oh!.. I know that sound. It's a bird diving into the window. I shut off the vacuum and carefully peaked outside to see what bird death scene I might find. I mean, I did hear it over the vacuum.

Laying on the decking was an immature ***White-breasted Nuthatch*** (now correctly identified as a Black-and-white Warbler!) I am laughing to myself right now, because, thankfully, the little guy wasn't dead, but it was laying on its back with its legs straight up in the air. Totally funny position for a bird to be in.

I carefully picked it up and allowed it to recover from its brain bash., which took about 10 minutes. It was a great opportunity to study it up close. The little booger had a death grip on my hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment