Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Ponds

I returned to the Busch Wildlife Area to bird a few of the 40+ ponds. What a beautifully sunny morning! I had great hopes of finding a few new species (such as a bittern or a duck) but the day was without. :( It's not quite migration season yet, so I guess my expectations were a bit high.

But I did have a sweet time watching the dozen or so Green Herons around the Adhen Knight Hampton Memorial Lake. Green Herons crack me up because the can stand SO still when they are hunting. It's like they are little statues. They so such funny little creatures!

"I'm not here. You don't see me."

Beautiful lily pads (or whatever they are really called!)

This Easter Phoebe was picking out little seeds from the cone it's sitting upon. I'm pretty sure its a phoebe. Please tell me, if I'm wrong. I stink at Flycatchers from afar!


Turtle saying "Wassup?" or just begging for food.

These cool tree markings are holes drilled by Sapsuckers looking for, well, sap!

No comments:

Post a Comment