Thursday, August 13, 2009

Places You Don't Want to Leave

In my effort to get out and find great birding spots around the St. Louis Metro area, I spent a relaxing morning at the August A. Busch Wildlife Conservation Area.

Wow! This place has got it all. Riparian areas, lakes, meadows, mowed fields, and dense woods. Typical wild Missouri, I guess. What amazing beauty!

My prize bird for the day was a female American Redstart, which is a new species for me. I found her hanging around a little fishless pond, along with about 15 American Robins. No kidding. 15 Robins!


See, I told you it was fishless!

Another great find was an Eastern Towhee, singing at the top of its lungs.I'm beginning to think that the Eastern Towhee is not as "rarely seen" as some of the literature says, 'cause I'm seeing them everywhere. That, or I'm just really lucky.

Eastern Towhee

Monarch Butterfly

A Monarch Caterpillar

Party on the fountain!

Beautiful Red-tailed Hawk, with a Mole catch

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Alicia,

    Love your blog! You may not be with us physically, but your enthusiasm is still contagious. So sorry we missed saying good-bye. We were in Beautiful British Columbia and the Panhandle of Idaho and other cool, green areas camping, birding and swimming in icy creeks beside our campground. This picture brings back good green memories and your photographs are, as always, spectacular. Think about sending some to stock companies, or starting a card line! Sounds and looks as if you are jumping into this move with feet, binoculars and heart. Looking forward to more adventures. You are deeply missed. Fondly, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, You know how to make me cry! Many misses to you, too...Alicia

    ReplyDelete