Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sharing the Love

One of the great joys I had over the weekend in Indiana was sharing bird watching with my nephew. I had no idea he was so interested in birds!

Together we searched for a mysterious bird that my folks have seen around their farm the last couple months, and have been unable to identify. We found the little booger (actually, big booger!)

It had me a little perplexed because it mostly looked like Brown Thrasher, but according to my bird guide it should have had a curved bill, which this bird definitely did not have. Anthony was fantastic in remembering it’s persistent warning call (we were obviously around a nest) and we checked out Cornell’s website for more photos and a sound bite.

Sure enough! It was a Brown Thrasher.

It was precious time with Anthony, and I promised to take him on a real bird walk once we return to Missouri. I already taught him how to pish, which was great fun. I can’t wait to spend more time with him. Looks like I have a new birding partner!

The new birding duo!

Oh, and I really do need to get a new bird guide. I got burned this time. Question is Peterson's or Sibley's? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment