Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thomas Hill Reservoir

In my continued efforts to meet new birders and see new parts of this beloved state, I attended a field trip to the Thomas Hill Reservoir with the Columbia Audubon Society. The trip was focused on finding gull and duck species amongst the ponds of the Reservoir.

What a FUN group! Laughing, laughing, laughing! I really liked them!


But the best part of mostly driving tour was the use of walkie-talkies. While our six cars traversed the back roads of Macon Co., the trip leader, Edge Wade, spoke to us about the area and about the different species found there. It literally was like sitting in a class, but with a better view. I learned SO much.

Bonaparte's Gull

I added SIX new species to my life list that day! Banner day! My new species for the day were:
  • Bonaparte's Gull
  • Krider's Form of the Red-tailed Hawk
  • Lesser Scaup
  • Redneck
  • Ring-necked Duck
  • Red-breasted Merganser

Me and one hoot of a woman, Edge

The best part, or actually the most embarrassing, of the day was successfully completing the "Prairie Chicken Lifer Dance." It is a CAS tradition that anytime you get a new life bird, you have to do a little dance like a Prairie Chicken. I won't go into the details, but it sure was fun and embarrassing all at the same time. Thank goodness they did NOT make me do it six times! Once was enough! :)

If you want to know how a prairie chicken dances and how I looked for a whole 20 seconds, check out this video. Yes, I had to stomp my feet, too. Try not to fall out of your chair laughing so hard.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment