Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sandhill Crane Redux

Last October, I spent a late afternoon visiting the Sandhill Crane Observatory at the Jasper-Pulaski Game Preserve outside Wheatfield, IN. While there were many cranes there at the time, it was not the peak season. November is peak season. So, I returned back to my hometown this past weekend and got to enjoy the full force of Sandhill Crane migration.

Instead of an afternoon visit, my mom and I decided to get our booties up and out pre-dawn to catch the morning influx flights of the cranes. Plus, we were told the lighting is better for photos, since we wouldn't be shooting into the westward setting sun.


My mom, Connie, was so gracious, and dropped me off at the observatory platform so I wouldn't miss a minute of the show. Mom, you rock! When I topped the platform, I found dozens of other birdwatchers already in place. Wow!


As for the cranes, I was a bit shocked to find an empty field. Whah? But within one minute I see one pair flying in and landing on the field. Then another, then another. Next thing I know the entire sky is filled with Sandhill Cranes, squawking away with most of them plopping down on the field. AWESOME! It was a fantastic sight to see!


Thanks again, Mom, for the fun (but freaking cold) morning!



Check out this video I took of the immense sqawking of the Sandhill Cranes. It was legitimately loud, even across a field!

3 comments:

  1. Kinda sounds like my first church choir many moons ago.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...or like me singing in the choir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post because it reminded me of the two times I visited Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge on my cross-country drives and saw (and heard) tons of cranes. Thanks for the memory re-run!

    ReplyDelete