Friday, November 20, 2009

Parental Birding

How deep the love of a parent!

Since I've become a birder, my parents have become more than supportive of my new hobby (or obsession.) I've taken my Mom on a bird walk at BMCP. They've sent me photos of unidentified birds they've found. They've put up a bird feeder and kept me updated on its visitors. They've always shown interest in birds FOR ME, and for that I am more than grateful.

This is how awesome my Mom is....she drops me off, parks the van, walks a quarter mile from the van to the platform, walks back to the van to retrieves our coffee, and then walks back to the platform...all the while freezing her bootie off, just so I can bird! This is Mom walking with our coffee.

This past weekend, I pushed the limits of the normal sidewalk birding with my parents, and made my Mom do a little off-roading to find birds. IT WAS SO FUN!


We found cranes all over the place. We'd see some in a field, and she'd dart the van over so I could jump out. Reminded me of good times with friends in CA.


Our best find for the morning was a Bald Eagle! Not normally found in this part of Indiana, finding this treasure amongst the trees was easy. Giant black bird with a white head in a bare tree oak tree was easy to see. Mom took that van down a vacant house lot and across a grassy field so I could get a closer look at the sucker. What a Mom!


Beautiful! Of course, I spooked him, but I was able to get a decent photo of him as proof.

What a fun morning! I'll turn her into a birder whether she want to or not! :)

1 comment:

  1. you know how to make a Mom blush. The highlight for me was the bald eagle. I can't stop bragging about what we had seen

    ReplyDelete