Monday, November 23, 2009

Fun on the Lake

During the weekend with my parents, we celebrated my uncle's 80th birthday at a party in Michigan City, IN. Happy Birthday, Uncle Jim! But before the party, my parents and I stopped by the beach, pier and lighthouse on Lake Michigan. The weather was amazingly perfect, with temps in the mid-60's. Great for a walk on the beach!

As we were pulling up to the beach, I saw a group of people getting out of their cars with scopes. BIRDERS!!! I am not kidding when I say I just about jumped out of our moving car. I grabbed my binoculars and bird book and ran, I mean walked, to meet up with them. With a big smile I asked them questions about their group and asked what their target bird was. I joined right in. I was so needy.... :) I miss you, BMCP!

Me and Dad referencing the Horned Grebe in my bird book

While they didn't have a target bird, they were looking for a variety of gull species. They didn't find any other species other than the Ring-bill, they did find a Horned Grebe. A Horned Grebe THAT IS A NEW SPECIES TO ME! Yeah!!

Ring-billed Gull

We continued to follow the group on and off as they went looking for more birds along the pier and breakwall, but generally we just enjoyed the atypically warm sunshine and beautiful blue water.

Look at these good lookin' people I found along the beach!

OMG, I love this photo of my dad looking through a scope and holding onto my bird book! I'm telling you...I'm turning them into birders!

Lighthouses are COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment