Thursday, September 10, 2009

I've been Barred

I've been hearing them around Innsbrook, but have never seen them. Owls, I mean. Lots and lots of owls calling out into the night. The one owl that has been, I guess, my "goal" owl since returning has been the Barred Owl.

Do you know what a Barred Owls sounds like? Screaming monkeys! Okay, not really screaming monkeys, but screaming something. They are very loud and squawky-like, not the nice soft whoo-whooing we are typically used to. Here is a sound bite of a Barred Owl. There at least two out in the woods near my home, and boy can they put up a ruckous! I love it!

Finally, a couple evenings ago, just back from birding with Laura Shelton (HI LAURA!) my headlights shined on an unusual figure in the woods. BINGO, I found an owl staring at me! And it was none other than a Barred Owl! Literally, whoo-hoo! Awesome!

New species...check!

1 comment: