Monday, September 28, 2009

GOOOOAAALLLL!

If you don't get it, you are suppose to read the above title like one of those football announcers (as in soccer.) Loud and long!

I once again visited Gaddy Garden in Tower Grove Park (aka Warbler Central) in hopes of spying some new warbler species. Totally psyched!

There are so many warbler species migrating through right now that I actually set for myself a tiny goal. I wanted to see TEN species of warblers. Why, ten? I don't know...just random! :)

With a little help from some of my new St Louis Audubon friends, I was able to achieve my goal! Here are the ten warblers I saw between 9 am and 12 noon.
  1. Black and White Warbler
  2. Magnolia Warbler
  3. Ovenbird
  4. Tennessee Warbler- NEW
  5. Wilson's Warbler
  6. American Redstart (many, many Redstarts)
  7. Chestnut-sided Warbler
  8. Golden-winged Warbler
  9. Blue-winged Warbler
  10. Nashville Warbler
And just for the record I also saw the new species Gray-cheeked Thrush. That was awesome!

Okay, yes, this is a picture of a bird butt. But(t), it is a beautiful bird butt. It is the butt of a female American Redstart, which are famous for the way they splayl their tails out (and yes, I made up that word.)

Another great thing about my day was meeting Steve Shunk, owner and important bird guide with Paradise Birding out of Sisters, OR. Steve was in town to be the key note speaker at the Audubon Society of Missouri conference (that I unfortunately didn't attend.) Steve is about to publish a guidebook on Woodpeckers. The book hasn't been released yet, so I was not able to get a signed copy, BUT was still nice to talk with the guy.

Come to find out that he had just visited Big Morongo Canyon Preserve this past April. We had a fun conversation about the Nutall's and Ladderback Woodpecker species blending that is occurring at the Preserve. That was a real treat to hear his ideas, since he is a woodpecker expert.

Great day all around. Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment