Sunday, January 24, 2010

Salton Sea, Part Deux

What started as a very cool morning, turned into a gorgeously warm afternoon. I couldn't have asked for a better day to bird in California.

Most of our group left at lunch, with five of us remaining to count the vast number of birds along the northern shore of the Salton Sea. It was about this time that my camera ran out of battery. Pooper! All of the photos you are seeing were taken by Richard Filley, one of the other birders I met that day. Thanks for sharing, Richard!

I joked this afternoon that if the Salton Sea wasn't filled with amazing birds, I would have thought I was in Hell. Doesn't get any more barren than the coast of the Salton Sea.

The five of us marched across the beach of thick-caked salt to count the thousands of birds lining the edge of the sea. THOUSANDS I SAY! The experts among us (aka Darrell and Dan) counted over 3000 Gulls (various species,) 1200 White Pelicans, and nearly 600 Great Blue Herons. I literally got tears in my eyes seeing so many Pelicans.


At one point the White Pelicans, who were nestled down, took notice of our presence. All at once they raised up and turned their heads toward us, ready to move at any moment. Do you know what it feels like to have 1200 White Pelicans turn their heads at you and give you the stare down?


Though I felt inadequate to count the thousands of gulls and pelicans, I could do something. I volunteered to count all the Great Egrets lining the shore. I counted 63, and I was proud to have contributed to the count that afternoon.

One of the best things I witnessed (I was the only one who saw the whole thing,) was seeing a Peregrine Falcon try to take down a Shoveler Duck. All of sudden I see this bird of prey swoop down and pin a duck down to the ground. I couldn't believe my eyes! But just as quickly as the Falcon took down the duck, it was scared off by some parachuters nearby. The poor duck limped to edge of the water, seemingly dazed by his near death experience. I still can't believe I saw what I saw!

What a great afternoon! I ended up with only 26 species that afternoon, BUT of the 26, FIVE were new species for me! My new species were the Glaucous-winged Gull, the Black-bellied Plover, Common Goldeneye, Clark's Grebe and the Snowy Plover.

Snowy Plover

I was exhausted when we finished counting at 5pm that evening, but I was one happy girl! My legs hurt, my face and neck were sunburned but I was happy! We joined the larger N. Salton Sea counters at Denny's to add to the greater CBC compilation. The entire group ended up with like 141 species total, with 90 of them being from our specific group. I'm very satisfied with our efforts (especially since we found 2 rarities.)

I can't wait for next year's count!

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, Hi. I am Dan's sister, Sally Baumann. I have enjoyed your blog and your love of birding. I really enjoy seeing my brother's back side in so many shots. Please keep posting more like this so that I can tease him about only showing his back end.

    ReplyDelete