Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dauphin Island Getaway

One of my favorite places in the Deep South is Dauphin Island, Alabama. Dauphin Island is a barrier island located south of Mobile, AL, and became my favorite beach spot during the time Charlie Ray was being repaired in Mobile. Not the fanciest of beaches because of the oil platforms located off shore, but it does have nautical charm and a sweet laid backness.

What I didn't appreciate a couple years ago was the fantastic bird sanctuary and historic Fort Gaines located on the eastern side of the island. Just this past week while I was in Alabama, I took a day and enjoyed all the island had to offer; the birds, the beaches and the buildings (historic ones, that is.)

So, the next three posts will be labeled as so. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment