Saturday, December 19, 2009

CBC Hooky

I'm missing the annual nationwide Christmas Bird Count ...again.

Every year thousands of audubon societies and bird groups around the nation get together a couple weeks before or after Christmas Day to count the birds they see within an established area. The information collected is published as important national research. This is a VERY big deal.

Last year, I missed the BMCP CBC because I was traveling to Missouri (and really didn't know what I was missing.) This year I had great plans on participating in a local StL CBC, but for some reason all of the dates are on days I am, again, traveling. Mix that with the fact that I am working full-time now, makes the chances of catching a CBC pretty slim on my schedule. Pooper....

Today, I did consider driving 2.5 hours west to Columbia, MO for their count, but with the weather being snowy/rainy with temps around 30 degrees and winds 20mph+, I just couldn't pull myself together enough to do it. I guess I am a bit of a fair-weather birder. Woose, I know.

So, again, I'm missing this great event.

Maybe next year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, to cold, come to California. Bird in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete